Wednesday, July 24, 2024

University in My Forties and Fifties

 I began university in September 2002, the year my maternal grandmother died. In fact, the day she passed July 5th, 2002 I had dropped my entrance letter in the mail box that morning before heading home after I'd done groceries.

I went to university part time in my forties and graduated in my fifties. I have always been a deep thinker, a voracious reader and maintained an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.

I am especially grateful for having taken a variety of elective courses outside my major English Literature. These courses have benefitted me throughout my adulthood. It has afforded me the ability to see beyond the scope of my own understanding. Courses such as: world history, women's studies, different cultures literature, world theology, philosophy. I learned to welcome and appreciate those many souls who crossed paths with me on a daily basis and engage them in conversation.

I thrived on sharing my passion for art, literature, and other subjects with others both within and outside the classroom. Able to welcome and appreciate deep intellectual conversations with persons across the globe thanks to SM social media and my MH mental health support groups.

Each year, my circle expands and includes more diverse cultures and groups of people. My first day of philosophy class I came home with a massive headache. but an appreciation and love of Socrates.  

"The unexamined life is not worth living" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

University in My Forties and Fifties

  I began university in September 2002, the year my maternal grandmother died. In fact, the day she passed July 5th, 2002 I had dropped my e...